SRX Services Gateway
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

Static MAC for Reth interfacess

[ Edited ]
3 weeks ago

Hello Everyone,

I have 2 SRX5800 which are in a cluster, with a cluster-id 2 in Region-A.  I have another pair of SRX with cluster-id 2 in Region-B.

I want to extend layer 2 between RegionA & RegionB, but due to same cluster-id, both reth interfaces have same MAC. So I found a command to define a static mac.

set interface reth1 mac xx:xx:xx:xx:xx. (Only applied on SRX in Region-B)

Now the intermediate node connected to Region B is receiving both MACs. (Current Address as well as Hardware Address). Due to which BFD is flapping. 

Suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

Re: Static MAC for Reth interfacess

[ Edited ]
3 weeks ago
The MAC address of the Reth interfaces is derived from the cluster-id and the reth number.
You will continue to have this kind of duplicate MAC problems for all reth interfaces as long as both clusters share the same L2 domain and have the same cluster-id. It would be better to change the cluster-id in one of the clusters and never worry again about this situation.
Pura Vida from Costa Rica - Mark as Resolved if it applies.
Kudos are appreciated too!
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

Re: Static MAC for Reth interfacess

[ Edited ]
3 weeks ago

Hi Usmaan,

Either change the cluster-id on Region-B or change the reth number on Region-B; this should solve your MAC address issue. However, I would suggest you to change the cluster-id in order to resolve this issue altogether.

For more information, please check the following KB article - https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB13689&actp=METADATA&act=login

Thanks,
π00bm@$t€®.
Please, Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!
Feedback