Routing
Highlighted
Routing

Passing MPLS Traffic Between Routing Instance and Inet.0

3 weeks ago

Hi

I want to create two OSPF domains on My Juniper MX960. For this reason I created one Routing-Instance with Type virtual-router. The first thing I observed is I cannot enable protocol MPLS on Interfaces inside of Routing-Instance.. But I can enable LDP on those Interfaces. Another observed case is When I redistribute routes from Routing-Instance to Intet.0, Inet.3 will not received learned labels from the Routing-Instance. 

I test this on Live Device and VMX and got the same result.

Is there any solution for this case? Or it just simply means I must not create separate OSPF Domains..

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Routing

Re: Passing MPLS Traffic Between Routing Instance and Inet.0

3 weeks ago

Hello,

techdep@astfz.com wrote:

Hi

I want to create two OSPF domains on My Juniper MX960. For this reason I created one Routing-Instance with Type virtual-router.

The first thing I observed is I cannot enable protocol MPLS on Interfaces inside of Routing-Instance.. But I can enable LDP on those Interfaces. Another observed case is When I redistribute routes from Routing-Instance to Intet.0, Inet.3 will not received learned labels from the Routing-Instance. 

I test this on Live Device and VMX and got the same result.

This is expected. Please use instance-type "no-forwarding" for separating OSPF domains in JUNOS if You so desire, but separate IGP domains is not a best practice to put it mildly.

techdep@astfz.com wrote:

Is there any solution for this case? Or it just simply means I must not create separate OSPF Domains..

The latter. You could use OSPF multitopology https://kb.juniper.net/library/CUSTOMERSERVICE/technotes/2000308-en.pdf if You are brave but almost everything in networking can be achieved without separating IGP into isolated domains.

This is also true about OSPF NSSA and stub areas, BTW.

HTH

Thx

Alex

Please ask Your Juniper account team about Juniper Professional Services offerings.
Juniper PS can design, test & build the network/part of the network as per Your requirements

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Accept as Solution = cool !
Accept as Solution+Kudo = You are a Star !
Highlighted
Routing

Re: Passing MPLS Traffic Between Routing Instance and Inet.0

3 weeks ago

Hello,

Can you help understand why you want to create a separate OSPF domain?

One solution is to use logical system on your router. From routing perspective this would be as if it is a separate router and would help you to isolate your domain.

Logical-system supports OSPF and MPLS. Below is a link for configuring P2MP RSVP in logical system which you can use as a reference for configuring P2P RSVP LSP as well.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/configuring-ospf-on-logical-syste...

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/logical-systems-rsvp-p2mp.html

Regards,

Mayank Shah

Feedback