Ethernet Switching
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

EX3400 Virtual Chassis

4 weeks ago

I'm fairly new to the Juniper switching and am running into something very odd. I have configured four EX3400 switches into a virtual chassis using the pre-configured QSFP+ ports. The installation has gone without a hitch and I can see all of the ports available in the show interfaces command except for the SFP+ ports. The only configuration I have done for the Virtual Chassis is to give membership priority to ensure the correct switch will become master. 

I have configured the SFP+ ports to be an Aggregate link to connect back to our corporate network but because they are not available in the interfaces they are not becoming active. Could anyone advise why this may be? I have been searching the Juniper forums for a few hours now and have come up short with any real answers.

Thanks,

Talan

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Re: EX3400 Virtual Chassis

4 weeks ago

Hi,

QFSP+ ports are by default dedicated for Virtual chassis , but uplink ports need to be configured explicitly to be VCPs 

request virtual-chassis vc-port set pic-slot 1 port 0 

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution."

Regards,
A.A.
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

4 weeks ago

Hello Talan:

If you don't see the interfaces with the show interfaces terse that means that the SFP+ might be not recognized. It could also be that these ports are configured as vc-ports. Check with the command show virtual-chassis vc-ports to see if they are listed as vc-ports. If they are then you need to delete the vc-port and after that you will see the interface listed.

To delete vc-port: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/command-summary/request-virtual-c... 

Check with show chassis hardware to see if you see the SFP+ information. If you don't see the SFP then I suggest to reseat also check compatibility. This is the list of compatible transceivers for EX3400: https://apps.juniper.net/home/ex3400/hardware-compatibility 

Regards

Please mark "Accepted Solution" if this helps you solve your query. Kudos are always appreciated!

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

3 weeks ago

What do you see when you do show interfaces <interface name>

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

3 weeks ago

Hi Talan,

Uplink ports are usually considered as separate pic. For example, assuming you are using a 24T model, the copper ports will be from ge-0/0/0 to ge-0/0/23 (member 0) and the front SFP+ ports will be ge-0/2/0 through ge-0/2/3. Following commands can help you out:

show interfaces terse

show chassis pic pic-slot 2 fpc-slot 0

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/topic-map/ex3400-system...

PIC (n)

Abbreviated name of the Physical Interface Card (PIC)

n is a value in the range of 0–2.

The switch does not have actual PIC devices; see entries for PIC 0 through PIC 2 for the equivalent item on the switch.

Understanding Interface Naming Conventions

One of the following:

• 24x 10/100/1000 BASE-T

• 48x 10/100/1000 BASE-T

PIC 0

RJ-45 ports on the front panel of the switch.

Front Panel of an EX3400 Switch

4x GE SFP+

PIC 2

SFP+ uplink ports on the front panel of the switch.

Front Panel of an EX3400 Switch

2x XE QSFP+

PIC 1

QSFP+ uplink ports on the rear panel of the switch.

Rear Panel of an EX3400 Switch

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Aly

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

3 weeks ago

Good Morning,

Apologies for the delay, after some back and forth on the platform it turned out I was getting confused as I wasn't seeing the ge-0/2/[0-3] in the show interfaces command. The issue ended up being with the SFPs we were using which were Single Mode 9/125 SFPs which weren't supported once replaced the configuration I had already set started working.

Feedback