7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Re: Configure j-flow on Juniper switches

[ Edited ]
3 weeks ago

Hi gxs,

Hope you are doing well.

Is there a specific requirement that you are looking for? I could not find a lot of details in the post.

Here is a sample config for J-Flow:

#show interfaces ge-0/0/0
unit 0 {
family inet {
sampling {
input;
output;
}
address 1.1.1.1/30;
}
}

#show forwarding-options
sampling {
input {
rate 100;
}
family inet {
output {
flow-server 2.2.2.2 {
port ;
version 5;
}
}
}
}

Hope this helps :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Please mark “Accepted Solution” if this helps you solve your query. Kudos are always appreciated.

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

3 weeks ago

bmanvita,

From time to time we've experienced some traffic bandwidth issue and would like to know from where and what type of traffic is causing this. I would like to install j-flow on an EX switch so i was looking for some documentation on how to configure it. 

Thanks,

GXS

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

[ Edited ]
3 weeks ago

Hi gxs,

Is there a specific EX platform where you would want to implement J-Flow?

Because there could be limitations on certain functionalities that I can let you know about.

As far as I know, most EX and QFX switches do not support J-Flow or support limited variations as compared to MX and PTX. You could choose to implement sflow instead if it suits your requirement. Link to the same below:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/sflow-configuring-ex-series.html

Hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

Please mark "Accepted Solution" if this helps you solve your query. Kudos are always appreciated. 

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

3 weeks ago

They are mostly EX2200 & 2300 and 4200 & 4300 series

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

[ Edited ]
3 weeks ago

Hi gxs,

Upon further checking, I found that currently jflow is not supported on EX series. Only on MX and SRX series as of now.

Below you can see the features supported for each platform ( this one is for EX2300 )

https://apps.juniper.net/home/ex2300/features?swName=Junos%20OS&rel=19.4R1

However, sFlow technology is supported on the EX platform. I am sharing with you a guide you can use to configure this in your switch. Please check below-

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/sflow-configuring-ex-series.html

As best practices, please be advised of the following:

· You cannot enable sFlow technology on a Layer 3 VLAN-tagged interface.
· You cannot enable sFlow technology on a link aggregation group (LAG) interface, but you can enable it on the member interfaces of a LAG.
· We recommend that you configure the same sampling rates on all the ports on a line card. If you configure different sampling rates, the lowest value is used for all ports.

Hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

Please mark "Accepted Solution" so that it can benefit others too :slightly_smiling_face:

Kudos are always appreciated!

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

3 weeks ago

Thank You this is great information I do appreciate it. 

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

3 weeks ago

Hi gxs,

Please hit on "Accept As Solution" to mark it as Resolved so that it helps others with similar doubts.

Feedback